Electrical equipment has become a part and parcel of our lives. Although the electrical appliances make our lives easier, a faulty appliance or equipment could be hazardous to both our lives and property. At DCN electrical, as the experts in the field, we are well aware of the problems that could arise while using electrical appliances. Fortunately, there are many ways to ensure safety while using electrical equipment and appliances.
In this blog, we tell you how to avoid the hazards due to faulty installation, improper earthing, faulty operation and poor maintenance of electrical equipment.
Take care of the cords – Quite often, the cords and their extension are neglected, leading to hazards. Always keep them away from water. Make certain that they are not frayed or exposed, always disconnect by pulling the plug and not the cord. Avoid overload by using power boards with in-built safety mechanisms.
Childproof the plugs – By nature, children are inquisitive. They love to poke things into the plugs, causing severe danger. Childproof plugs can deter them from poking things into the plugs and putting them in danger. Always take the help of a licensed electrician for wiring, repairs, and other seemingly minor jobs.
Install safety switches/ RCDs (Residual Current Devices) – If you follow the general rule of using electrical equipment only when connected with safety switch, you are ensuring greater safety of your life and property. Likewise, it is essential to ensure that these safety switches are working properly. Get them tested periodically as per manufactures recommendations.
Mind the overhead lines and underground lines – Sometimes, people forget about the overhead lines while engaged in routine tasks like pruning trees, picking fruits, using a ladder or installing antennas and the like. Chances of electrocution are high in such cases. Likewise, before digging, it is essential to know the location of underground power lines, if any.
Beware of water leaks – Water leakage or seepage could result in fire or electric shocks. Hence, it is necessary to get any water leakage repaired at the earliest. A licensed electrician should be called to investigate the possibility of the faulty grounding of electrical appliances.
Electric shock – Never attempt to help someone who is receiving electric shock with your hands. Turn off the power supply first, and use a nonconductor to disengage the person from the source of shock. Wherever possible, stand on a nonconductor such as a dry rubber mat or newspapers. and call or get someone to call 000.
For more information and emergency services, call us on 0404 863 975.